Urban Term Members for Summer 2010

Urban Term Members for Summer 2010
All 12 of us since the boston members hadn't ever been to In-n-out before so we thought it necessary to expose them there the first weekend.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Urban Term has ended






Continued from the last entry............Above is our last class for Life of Holiness and our professor got us breakfast while we were at Balboa Park! What a treat!


What even just happened? I'm sitting in the only chair left in the Chamoune House where five others joined mutually together with me in this program called Urban term but only Cassie is here now while everyone else has left. Kids are yelling in the street, quite different from the fist fights and gun shots heard over the drowning out of the helicopter noise upon calling the police last night and still I sit trying to figure this whole thing out. We packed a lot today and within the last 24 hours tears were shed in the midst of prayers, hugging, and saying good-byes to the one's we've grown to deeply love. Living with five others in a house while six others live in a nearby house under a community that tries to mimic Acts 2 of the beginning of the Church in the new testament has been utterly draining for my mind and body. I literally don't have room for everything I should be trying to process in my head right now and honestly don't want to for much of what has been called to my attention over the last two months. Yet, I know I'd be doing a disservice to the people who educated me and a disservice to the people who's voices have been silenced, drowned out by others, or just need someone to stick up for them. So, I really feel as though it is God's will for me to try and think about things such as what the church should look like in the modern world, what true justice looks like, why isn't the church a true community as Paul and Jesus talk about in the new testament, what does a real Christian community look like, how come the church stops serving its brothers and sisters at the border because God didn't put that line there, how is there so many deaths at the border and it continues to happen as people are funneled like sheep through the most deadly places, what does it mean to gather in Christ around a meal, how come Jesus is always portrayed as floating along the ground with a halo and bright light all around him while he lived on the earth, wasn't Jesus fully human and bent down to the ground (yes that means his knees got dirty and the rocks might not of felt good as he made mud pies for another's eyes) repeatedly to serve or heal others, and there is still more. I feel like I can somewhat answer quite a few of these questions which is good but other times I can be indecisive in thinking about possible solutions God would want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tijuana Trip, 800 Mile Wall

Tijuana Trip, 800 Mile Wall
Here is the beginnings of the 800 mile wall which is mostly covered in crosses to remember people/family/friends who died while trying to cross the border. Think about it crosses stacked next to each other for almost 800 miles, that's a lot of people and sounds similar to something else in the past.